We recently announced the launch of our ridesharing insurance for Uber. The policy, effective July 7, is already providing protection for all Uber drivers and passengers in Ontario.
To help you get more familiar with the coverage, here is a reminder of the key features and benefits. We have also attached an updated FAQ that includes answers to some additional questions you have asked.
What you need to know:
1. Policy: The Intact commercial policy provides coverage from the moment drivers make themselves available to accept a ride request, to the moment passengers exit the vehicle.
2. Coverage: Commercial coverage includes Third Party Liability, Standard Accident Benefits and Comprehensive and Collision coverage with a $1,000 deductible (for drivers who hold Comprehensive and Collision coverage on their personal auto policy). It does not provide any optional coverages, regardless of what is included on the customer’s personal auto policy, other than Comprehensive and Collision as included in the commercial policy noted above.
3. AB claims: The Intact commercial policy is intended to provide primary coverage and respond to any claim for standard accident benefits by a rideshare driver in priority to any other policy which they are insured on. The commercial policy does not provide coverage for optional accident benefits.
For Intact Insurance, Novex and Jevco auto customers, drivers may choose to claim on other policies where they could be eligible for certain accident benefits, including optional accident benefits.
For rideshare drivers with policies with another insurer, coverage for optional accident benefits should be discussed directly with this provider.
4. Interim Product: In our communications we refer to the coverage as an interim product, in that it is based on what has currently been approved by the regulator, but is not necessarily the final product structure. As the government looks to introduce legislation related to the sharing economy, this product may evolve.
5. Personal Use: When Uber drivers use their vehicle for personal use, Intact Insurance, Novex and Jevco customers are protected as usual under their personal auto insurance policy at no additional cost.
6. Process: For Intact Insurance, Novex or Jevco customers, there is no change to their personal auto policy. You must simply add a note to their policy file in Savers Plus or Contact. Do not change the vehicle use, this should remain as “personal” and only kilometres driven for personal use should be included.
7. Resources: Visit our microsite intactmyshare.com for more information and all the latest materials including FAQ, Fact Sheet and process guide.
hello there! keeping everyone current on all the latest industry news and trends via this blog.