Home Share Bulletin - September 2016 View online
for all your Personal Lines Risks
Home Sharing/Short-term RentalsPremier launches new endorsement allowing Home sharing/Short-term rentals
View products online
NEW product - Premier broadens offering to cover Homeowners risks with short term rentals via AIRBNB and Homeaway and similar facilitators. In response, to the growing request from our broker force for sharing economy risks, Premier has broadened our personal lines programs to now allow home sharing arrangements. Visit to learn more...
We recently announced the launch of our ridesharing insurance for Uber. The policy, effective July 7, is already providing protection for all Uber drivers and passengers in Ontario.
To help you get more familiar with the coverage, here is a reminder of the key features and benefits. We have also attached an updated FAQ that includes answers to some additional questions you have asked.
What you need to know:
1. Policy: The Intact commercial policy provides coverage from the moment drivers make themselves available to accept a ride request, to the moment passengers exit the vehicle.
2. Coverage: Commercial coverage includes Third Party Liability, Standard Accident Benefits and Comprehensive and Collision coverage with a $1,000 deductible (for drivers who hold Comprehensive and Collision coverage on their personal auto policy). It does not provide any optional coverages, regardless of what is included on the customer’s personal auto policy, other than Comprehensive and Collision as included in the commercial policy noted above.
3. AB claims: The Intact commercial policy is intended to provide primary coverage and respond to any claim for standard accident benefits by a rideshare driver in priority to any other policy which they are insured on. The commercial policy does not provide coverage for optional accident benefits.
For Intact Insurance, Novex and Jevco auto customers, drivers may choose to claim on other policies where they could be eligible for certain accident benefits, including optional accident benefits.
For rideshare drivers with policies with another insurer, coverage for optional accident benefits should be discussed directly with this provider.
4. Interim Product: In our communications we refer to the coverage as an interim product, in that it is based on what has currently been approved by the regulator, but is not necessarily the final product structure. As the government looks to introduce legislation related to the sharing economy, this product may evolve.
5. Personal Use: When Uber drivers use their vehicle for personal use, Intact Insurance, Novex and Jevco customers are protected as usual under their personal auto insurance policy at no additional cost.
6. Process: For Intact Insurance, Novex or Jevco customers, there is no change to their personal auto policy. You must simply add a note to their policy file in Savers Plus or Contact. Do not change the vehicle use, this should remain as “personal” and only kilometres driven for personal use should be included.
7. Resources: Visit our microsite intactmyshare.com for more information and all the latest materials including FAQ, Fact Sheet and process guide.
As you know, Uber recently partnered with an insurer to provide commercial auto coverage for all Uber drivers and passengers in Ontario. Following review of the policy information, we’re pleased to announce that we will insure personal auto customers who drive for Uber. Uber’s commercial auto coverage goes into effect from the time a driver turns on Uber’s app and becomes available to accept a ride request, to the time passengers exit the vehicle. Outside of these times, the driver will be covered under their Gore Mutual auto insurance policy. To receive personal auto insurance from Gore Mutual, we’ll require Uber drivers to disclose their involvement with the company and provide proof of their commercial auto coverage (like a policy number). Should other ridesharing companies create similar solutions for their drivers, we’re happy to accept them as personal auto insurance customers.
Tesla, the electric car company that’s among the leaders in the development of autonomous cars, is now getting into the insurance business.
Tesla is starting new insurance programs in Australia and Hong Kong, according to Electrek.com. the program, called InsureMyTesla, offers customized insurance plans for Tesla automobiles underwritten by partner companies.
Tesla is partnering with QBE Insurance in Australia and AXA General Insurance in Hong Kong, according to Electrek.com.
The Tesla insurance plans feature coverage including:
Aviva’s overland water protection now available for purchase in Ontario and Alberta
June 2, 2015 (Toronto, ON) – Aviva Canada is excited to offer overland water protection for residential property owners and tenants through our network of independent insurance brokers. Our goal is to make Overland Water Protection accessible and affordable for the vast majority of our customers.
The coverage – offered as an add-on to personal property insurance policies that have sewer back-up protection in place – can now be purchased through brokers in Ontario and Alberta, and will be offered in other provinces throughout the rest of 2015.
Overland water protection responds to losses that result from the accumulation or run off of surface waters, including torrential rainfall when water enters the property. It can be added to a wide range of policies, e.g. owners or tenants of houses, condos, rental properties, seasonal properties or secondary properties. The attached consumer brochure provides more details.
The Overland Water Endorsement forms a key part of the Aviva Water Protection package, which combines base policy water protection (broken water pipes and more), sewer back-up protection (the backing up or escape of water or sewage) and overland water protection.
For more information on Aviva’s Water Protection coverage visit http://avivawaterprotection.ca.
hello there! keeping everyone current on all the latest industry news and trends via this blog.